Why penguin's eggs?

For years I have been an admirer of Knoppix and the first live releases, so to speak "in image and likeness". In particular, I remember with pleasure Kanotix by Kano and Kurumin by C. Morimoto who was one of my favorites at the time and from which I learned a lot. But they were also the beginnings of Slax by Tomas Matejicek, and it was the dawn of the transition from the traditional installation to the common one for many years: while in other operating systems it takes a lifetime and the computer is locked, we lucky Linux users can quietly start surfing the net and more, even during installation.

Knoppix was a real revolution, what was given for a difficult to install distribution turned into a self-configured CD that inserted into a computer, immediately made it operational.

The idea, of course, was copied by everyone, immediately from Ubuntu who wrote a new installation system, today's ubiquity which was based, precisely on a live CD.

But the best was yet to happen, Tony Brijeski (aka Fragadelic) came up with something enormously successful, namely the possibility of performing the reverse operation, that is, not only from the liveCD to the computer but from the computer to the liveCD! The project was called remastersys, it still survives in several reincarnations even if it is no longer maintained by its author.

The idea was as successful as it perhaps led to some misunderstandings. A myriad of "distro" arose - it was used to say so at the time - based mainly on the Fragadelic script and additions.

A few years later, Kendek's Systemback was a great success, which revolutionized and refined what Remastersys was, with a well-made, stable and maintained program and, moreover, written in C.

Even Kendek after a few years gave up his project, which still exists maintained by other developers, but which of course for years has lost part of its popularity and user base. (Note: Kendek has taken over systemback in a new guise as a command-line utility: systemback.sh)

So for years he has been chasing a replacement, someone has been trying to maintain old programs, and so on.

I started from a different problem, we always lost the Windows installation CDs in the office and, to overcome it, we pulled on a server ... of himself! Practically following the network guides for diskless workstations, I created a script which, installed on a system, made the copy to be distributed on the network via PXE, http and nfs. The host machine was called giant-turtle and the host machine was little-bird, although the bird was the exact copy of the turtle except for the data. Since then on little bird then clonezilla was installed and the turtle also acted as ssh server, the machines could be cloned and reconfigured without the hassle of installation CDs and with considerable time savings. Basically it was a kind of FOG Server.

Of course immediately after doing it, I realized that all in all, most of the work was the same as the live cd and one could replace the other.

It took years, however, before I remembered the topic, after the fateful retirement, the refusal to hang the keyboard on the nail and the lack of a satisfactory continuous working relationship that gave me the opportunity to re-experiment.

giant-turtle

little-bird